Tuesday, January 14, 2014

{Baby Food Diaries} The Berry Mash





Honest confession here:: I haven't been as faithful as I'd have liked in posting Maylin's progress with baby food. Maybe my goals were a bit lofty, but somehow real mom life got in the way, and well, I just haven't posted about it.

However, there are some things that are just too good not to share. This baby food recipe is one of them. Surprisingly, I didn't get it from a baby food recipe book or anything like that. I created it just by looking at the scraps of food in my kitchen and whipping up something Maylin could eat. And quickly, because at the moment she was screaming in her high chair. We've all had those moments, right?

I'm not generally prone to feeding my child kitchen scraps, but literally, our kitchen was about empty.

So here's what I did. In a food processor {which is now my new best friend} I threw the leftover blueberries from our overnight refrigerator oatmeal {hopefully a post on that coming soon}, a very ripe and heavily spotted banana, a handful of steel cut uncooked oats, and a pinch of cinnamon. I whirred them together until they made a paste. Viola. Berry Mash.

Maylin inhaled it. Win.

Although, if we're being honest here, anything I can throw together in a moment's notice for my child while she's wailing in her high chair is a win for me.

Blueberry Banana Mash
  • handful of blueberries*
  • very ripe banana
  • handful of uncooked steel cut oats
  • pinch of cinnamon
Mix together in food processor and serve immediately.

*You can tell I'm very exact with my measurements these days.

I've also used frozen thawed blueberries, strawberries, and blackberries before with the oats. Which is the original Berry Mash. Now I'm just experimenting. Which is basically all being a mom is. One huge experiment. If it doesn't work the first time, try something different the next. That's my motto these days anyway.

Happy eating, friends!


No comments:

Post a Comment