Wednesday, August 28, 2013

{In My Kitchen} Homemade Meatballs & Spaghetti Sauce with Brown Rice Noodles

 


 I'm looking for a good spaghetti sauce recipe. I tried this recipe {from scratch!} last night. But unfortunately, it got the "thumbs down" from my husband. Anybody else get that response sometimes? Here's how the conversation went.

"Babe? Can I tell you something?" {there was a note of please-don't-kill-me-when-I-say-this in his tone}

"Yes..." {putting a bite in my mouth and chewing}

"Well, this is not exactly what I picture when I think of spaghetti sauce."

Now, because I'm a pretty forgiving woman, I didn't take the sauce pot and knock him over the head. Also, he had a point. The sauce had a really strong Italian flavor, which we both liked, but the texture was just too chunky. I like a thick, smooth, stick-to-the-noodles type of tomato sauce. And unfortunately, this one just fell short. Sigh.

If, however, you're a fan of a chunky sauce, I'd say this one's a winner.



I also made homemade meatballs. Which Michael raved about. So, hopefully that made up for the disappointing sauce.

Instead of using whole wheat pasta like I normally do, I used brown rice pasta. I ran across it in the grocery store the other day and was intrigued, so I decided to give it a try.



Neither Michael nor I are gluten-intolerant, so that wasn't the motivation for buying this type of pasta. I was merely curious. Overall, I liked the taste and the texture. I think the noodles were a bit "stickier" than wheat noodles. There was a lot of starch in the water when I finished boiling them. But I also thought they were softer than whole wheat noodles, which is a plus for me. I'd say the major downfall of this type of pasta is that it took 15 minutes to boil rather than the traditional 6-8 minutes for wheat pasta. The cost was about the same.

If you have an intolerance to gluten or if you're just looking for "whole food" alternative to whole wheat pasta, I'd say give these a try! I'll be buying them again in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment