Wednesday, November 13, 2013

{In My Kitchen} Spiced Pecans


Upon first glance of this recipe, Spiced Pecans, I automatically thought it would be pecans roasted with the usual spices of Autumn. Cinnamon. Nutmeg. Allspice. You get the idea.

Then upon closer inspection I realized that, no, that was not at all what "spiced" meant for the pecans lucky enough to get chosen for this little recipe. These guys would be basking in real spice. Like, make you warm to the tip of your tongue and toes kind of spice. Yes, please.

Luckily, I still had some pecans given to me by my grandparents stashed away in my freezer, and all the other ingredients are pantry staples.

If you look closely, you can see the grains of sugar coating the pecans in all the grooves thanks to the pepper sauce and butter. This was right before they went in the oven.

I really loved how easy this delectable little snack was to make. Really, it took me longer to get out the ingredients than it did to whip it all together. Probably the "longest" step was melting the butter. No joke. Then I washed up my dishes while the pecans roasted in the oven and popped one in my mouth the second the timer beeped.

MMMMMMM. Crunchy. Sweet. Spicy. Perfect. {Also, pecans count as a good source of DHA and fatty Omega-3s for all you pregnant ladies out there. Brain power.}

I see many, many batches of spiced pecans in my future. It will from now on be one of those "holiday foods" that I make around Thanksgiving and Christmas. Right up there with Apple Cobbler, Pumpkin Spiced & Iced Cookies, and Christmas Drink.

I just love finding new recipes that I instantly know will be a holiday staple from now till forever. Don't you?


Spiced Pecans

Ingredients::
  • 2 cups {or more!} pecan halves
  • 1/4 cup tightly packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup melted butter
  • 4 tsp Tabasco pepper sauce
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
Get Cookin'
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cover cookie sheet with parchment paper.
  2. Stir all ingredients together in large mixing bowl, coating the pecans thoroughly with butter, sugar, and pepper sauce.
  3. Spread flat on cookie sheet.
  4. Roast in oven for 10 minutes, stirring once.
  5. Allow to cool and enjoy! Store in mason jars at room temp {or wrap with ribbon and give as a gift}.

1 comment: